The swimming championships took place from 2 – 7 September 2018.
During the week, we had the usual mix of thundershowers, heavy rain and hot sunshine. Competition took place in a very well appointed outdoor pool, and continuous warm up facilities were available in the indoor 50m pool. Slovenia is a stunningly beautiful country with high mountains, huge forests, rapid rivers, beautiful lakes and interesting caves.
Here is an extract from the LEN report from Slovenia:
It was a great honour hosting so many champions in such a short period. The great atmosphere during the competition days even blew out the bad weather forecast and enabled the activities to be performed as planned. The numbers of participants, divided by discipline, event and age group can be found here. Some interesting statistic facts:
- 4.529 participants joined us from 40 countries,
- Water Polo: 892 participants
Open Water: 1112 participants
Swimming: 2793 participants
Diving: 72 participants
Synchronised Swimming: 218 participants
- 579 gold medals, 530 silver medals and 493 bronze medals were given in total,
- medals per country can be found here – highest number of medallists, gold and overall, was from Germany,
- oldest participant was born in 1924 and comes from Austria,
- we had two youngest participants, born on the same date – 20 December 1993, one from Hungary and one from Poland.
GBR came second in the medal table behind Germany.
Gloucester Masters contributed 2 Gold, 1 Silver, and 4 Bronze medals (excluding Open Water).
Full results can be found on our Results page.